This blog will look at environmental and political issues that will affect the quality of life for future generations of all species. Including; sustainability, media labels of "environmental issues," and different kinds of resistance to environmental oppression. I will also post on anything I think someone interested in the aforementioned would be interested in...

Monday, September 24, 2007

Time for a local Environmental Revolution!

Just a quick note...

I plan on lobbying the faculty of arts for the creation of an "environmental studies" department, program, or degree... with a gradual decline of enrollment, the faculty of arts is looking to shake things up a bit... I think that this is an opportune time for the creation of something long overdue...

I think an inter-disciplinary program would be most beneficial...
but, as this idea is in the early stages of development, the first step I would like to take is to find like-minded students interested in this cause...

so if you are interested, I have updated my blog profile to include my name and email... I potentially plan to;
-speak to the class as a whole... maybe others
-meet with the Dean of Arts... to see if he's down with it
-poster for interest?
-meet with sociology department... cause that's my current bias...
-hope someone else has good ideas to contribute

if you are reading this, please consider this opportunity to take an early developmental role in an idea that will make our campus and the world a better place for us and our children...

peace, love, and solidarity
Billy Patterson
billypatterson@gmail.com

[three quick notes... though I claim myself to be studying 'environmental sociology', no such accredited program yet exists, second, there is a "Resource and Environmental Studies" program, which could be evolved into a new arts faculty... currently this is an FNU/SIAST collaboration... I think an EXPANSION of this program is also a plausible benefit that could be looked into... but as of yet, it appears you need an "environmental law" degree of some sort before you can apply... third, if the idea of a new environmental department does not have enough interest, I was planning on trying and convincing the sociology department to either create or further expand thier possibilities of a degree in environmental sociology... it appears to be technically possible to 'create' a custom arts degree with special permission...]

No comments: